Have you heard of cleansing your face with oil? It’s been the rage in Japan for years and has just now reached popularity in the US. Dermatologists are now recommending oil facial cleansing for their patients. But why? Isn’t it counterintuitive to slather oil all over your face to clean it? Is it really better for your skin? Does it clog pores? We’ll answer these questions for you and tell you about the very best oil facial cleanser.
For All Skin Types
Cleansing oils mimic the oil that naturally occurs on your skin, regardless of your skin type, according to Dr. Ariel Ostad. A facial cleansing oil works to dissolve the bad oils your face collects during the day and when you rinse it off, the “good” oil takes the “bad” oil with it along with makeup and dirt. Water-based cleaners can’t do this. Additionally, water-based cleansers contain surfactants (detergents and foaming agents) that strip oil from the face causing oil glands to work overtime. (Hey men! You can use this product as well!)
You may say, “but I use baby oil. It’s gentle”. Did you realize that baby oil contains mineral oil, lanolin, and fragrance – all which inhibit the ability of the skin to breathe and can block pores? Cleansing oils remove impurities, maintain skin moisture barrier and do not clog pores!
One of the most amazing things about facial cleansing oils is that they can be used on different types of skin—including combination and oily skin! As the oil begins to lift dirt and open pores, individuals with acne or very oily skin may notice an initial increase in oil production on the face. Do not despair! The skin adapts very quickly to its new found freedom and oil pores will readjust and begin to produce exactly the right amount of sebum for your skin. It may actually turn out that this is the best face wash for oily skin!
Another advantage is that with repeated use, a cleansing oil can help tone and smooth the texture and appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. You can fight adult acne and provide anti-aging benefits to your skin at the same time – naturally!
How to Cleanse With an Oil Cleanser
Cleansing has never been easier, so refreshing or soothing to the skin!
Deep cleansing is more necessary at night than in the morning due to wearing makeup which actually collects facial dirt during the day. However, if you would like there’s no problem with cleansing twice daily. If you do choose to oil cleanse again in the morning, your face is clean and ready for serum, moisturizer, and makeup.
- Cleansing should begin with clean hands. Wash your hands prior to applying the cleansing oil.
- All you’ll need are some soft towelettes (I use baby wipes rinsed out) or a soft washcloth, your oil cleanser and hot, running water. (Not scalding water)
- Then dampen your clean hands and place 2-3 drops of the ultra-lightweight cleansing oil in the palm of your hand to warm the oil before applying it to the face. Yes – you apply straight onto your face with makeup, sunscreen, stubborn concealer and 24-hour mascara on it! No need to use a makeup remover first!
- Gently massage the face in slow, firm upward motions, including the eye area to remove mascara (the 24-hour kind as well). You will notice that the oil becomes creamy and milky as it begins to dissolve the day’s collection of grime, dirt, and makeup. Work the oil deeply into the pores.
- Once you’re satisfied that all of the day’s grime is dissolved, wet your towelette or washcloth in the warm, steamy water and begin to wipe away the day’s woes, grime and all. The idea is not to scald the skin but to provide comforting warmth and an environment that encourages the dissolution of impurities in your pores. Cold water is not advised as it will not aid in the removal of dirt in the pores.
- You’re providing your skin with a facial essentially as an esthetician would, but without the use of a steam machine! Feel free to allow the warm washcloth to remain on your skin to further open pores for deeper cleansing.
After wiping the face (notice the 24-hour mascara is completely gone), splash warm water on your face and pat dry. You’ll notice it rinses off quickly, leaving behind a dewy, soft and non-greasy finish to the skin.
At this point, you are ready to proceed with apply serum and moisturizer and proceed either with makeup (in the morning) or going to bed. Remember to sleep on a clean pillowcase as well!
It’s What’s Inside that Counts
In an article in SELF magazine, Dr. Zeichner of Sinai Medical Center says to read labels carefully and select a cleansing oil suited for your skin. He suggests looking for cleansers that contain grapeseed, argan, lavender or coconut oils.
After reviewing over 20 different brands of oil cleansing products on the market and reviewing the listing of oils in all of the formulations and based on personal and customer feedback, the very best oil facial cleanser on the market is from a small, company called Oliomanna. The formulation was developed by the pharmacist owner and is the only one that contains the very oils recommended by Dr. Zeichner!
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil,
- Caprylic Capric Triglycerides (Coconut Oil),
- PEG-7 glyceryl monococoate (a non-ionic emulsifying, emollient, refatting, ester made from glycerin and coconut oil which has good conditioning effects for soft and smooth skin)
- Vitis vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil,
- Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil,
- Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil,
- Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil,
- Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E),
- C12-15 alkyl benzoate (used to improve the feel and softness and is an excellent solvent for sunscreen)
End your day with fresh clean skin and leave it prepared and ready for serum and moisturizer.
Simple plant-based cleansing oil containing coconut oil, grapeseed oil, hemp oil, argan oil, avocado oil, and Vitamin E.
Formulated without preservatives, artificial fragrances, colors or alcohol
Soap-free, sulfate free, mineral oil free
Lightweight and water rinse-able
Non-comedogenic, non-sensitizing, non-irritating
Easily removes excess oil, dirt and 24-hour mascara
Contains anti-aging oils
Not tested on animals
Packaged in a vacuum container to prolong product shelf-life, avoid contamination from fingers or air, and assure 100% product usage
Each bottle is individually or batch compounded by a pharmacist in a laboratory
Competitive pricing with store brands
Your purchase supports small business
Louisiana Certified Product
Made in the USA
Not available in stores
Must be ordered online from OlioManna LLC although shipping is assured within 1-2 business days
The Final Word
If you are truly interested in an all-natural, effective cleansing system for your skin, what could possibly top a pharmacist-formulated, pharmacist-manufactured oil-based cleanser containing only what your skin needs and nothing it doesn’t?
We’ve been blinded by media and marketing to forget that 100 years ago, everything you took orally for healing and put on your body to heal or cleanse was handmade by a pharmacist. Isn’t it time to revisit the concept that handmade by a pharmacist could actually be preferable to something produced for profit by mass manufacturing? Treat yourself to the best oil facial cleanser on the market by OlioManna today!